The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $awaitingusers - Line: 33 - File: global.php(816) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/global.php(816) : eval()'d code 33 errorHandler->error
/global.php 816 eval
/showthread.php 24 require_once
Warning [2] Undefined array key "mybb" - Line: 1919 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 1919 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_indicators.php 41 my_set_array_cookie
/showthread.php 626 mark_thread_read
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions.php 6953 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_user.php 733 is_member
/inc/functions_post.php 399 purgespammer_show
/showthread.php 1063 build_postbit
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code 6 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 467 eval
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 642 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 642 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 700 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 700 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 705 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/functions_post.php 705 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined array key "additionalgroups" - Line: 6953 - File: inc/functions.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "profilefield" - Line: 6 - File: inc/functions_post.php(467) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "canonlyreplyownthreads" - Line: 642 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showimages" - Line: 700 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "showvideos" - Line: 705 - File: inc/functions_post.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
Warning [2] Undefined array key "invisible" - Line: 1497 - File: showthread.php PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 1497 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $threadnotesbox - Line: 30 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 30 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php 1524 eval
Warning [2] Undefined variable $ratethread - Line: 38 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 38 errorHandler->error
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 57 - File: showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code PHP 8.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php(1524) : eval()'d code 57 errorHandler->error

Hal's Mom
Question 
Our 7 year old greyhound Hal has been in decline for the past 4 months and we couldn't figure out why. Finally our vet insisted on an doing an exploratory surgery after she had been having to drain 10+ pounds of fluid out of his belly multiple times a week. She found that his intestines were inflamed and noticed that his Lymphs were swollen and took samples to send to the lab which came back positive for CIL. We are bracing ourselves for the worst, but finding this forum and blog has been extremely encouraging! We'll be starting a trail diet today of prescription food, and go from there, but I'm planning on trying to make things myself if I can to save on cost as we are a young family and don't have much. We love our Hal to bits but it's so hard to see him this sick :Sad
I was wondering what experience people have had with coconut oil, as I use this for us humans almost every day, and it helps so many issues & is so healthy. I've heard conflicting things about it with CIL, but not a whole lot... Any thoughts?
There is a lot of controversy with the use of coconut oil as it is a fat and fat is the enemy when it comes to lymphangiectasia. There are discussions on this topic in the old Louie the Love Muffin site. If Hal tolerates the prescription food , additional fat is not necessary as the prescription foods provide complete nutrition. However, be sure the prescription food is ultra low fat like Royal Canin LF gastrointestinal. Our Owen could only tolerate the prescription Royal Canin for a while and now he is on a more restrictive diet (even less fat). Keep in mind that every dog is different, so watch his stools, appetite and mood closely. It was also recommended to me not to introduce a lot of changes at once. If you need to change his diet, substitute one food at a time to see if he tolerates it. Owen is now eating tilapia and egg whites for protein and rice, oatmeal, pumpkin, apples and bananas for carbs. Both the tilapia and oatmeal have small amounts of fat so presently we are not giving him any fat supplement. Hope this helps. Hugs to Hal!! -Laura

(03-05-2016, 01:40 PM)Laura (Owen Wrote: There is a lot of controversy with the use of coconut oil as it is a fat and fat is the enemy when it comes to lymphangiectasia.  There are discussions on this topic in the old Louie the Love Muffin site.  If Hal tolerates the prescription food , additional fat is not necessary as the prescription foods provide complete nutrition.  However, be sure the prescription food is ultra low fat like Royal Canin LF gastrointestinal.  Our Owen could only tolerate the prescription Royal Canin for a while and now he is on a more restrictive diet (even less fat).  Keep in mind that every dog is different, so watch his stools, appetite and mood closely.  It was also recommended to me not to introduce a lot of changes at once.  If you need to change his diet, substitute one food at a time to see if he tolerates it.  Owen is now eating tilapia and egg whites for protein and rice, oatmeal, pumpkin, apples and bananas for carbs.  Both the tilapia and oatmeal have small amounts of fat so presently we are not giving him any fat supplement.  Hope this helps.  Hugs to Hal!!  -Laura

Also, you may find that Hal is sensitive to certain proteins (as Owen is) so finding the right protein is also important.  Royal Canin gastro intestinal kibble is chicken-based while Royal Canin canned is pork-based.  Like I said earlier, Owen tolerated both for a while then we had to find different protein sources- soy, non-fat yogurt, non-fat cottage cheese, egg whites, tilapia, cod, turkey were all possibilities.
Hi, Hal's Mom:

i have been tempted several times to try coconut oil with Diva. It is a fat but it is zero transfat, so I think that makes it different from other fats. I have been reading the book, "Coconut Therapy For Pets" by Bruce Fife, ND, and it seems coconut oil can be very beneficial for dogs, I'm just not sure if it would be beneficial for a dog suffering with CIL.

However, I have it in my pantry as a "last resort" food if things get really bad.

DivasMom
Thank you all! It's just so helpful to have a community like this since it's such a rare thing. My vet said she's seen a total of 5 cases in her career and that most have done well with just prescribed food, but if it's not working she's open to anything! He's still recovering from the surgery so well just be getting him stable as we can before trying anything crazy!
(03-05-2016, 10:17 AM)Bryan Smith Wrote: I have a greyhound that was diagnosed with this condition over a year ago.  Unlike your experience we have had the opposite results . . improvement to a normal dog.  First let me tell you we also have a 6 year old without the condition and she provides with a means of comparison.  He is on a low fat diet of 4%, daily doses of 1500mg of Rutin, I walk him 3 miles twice a day, every day.  That's it. No steroids, antibiotics or any medication.  Rutin is cheap (I'll email you the website I buy it from)  A year ago he had a liter of fluid out of his chest cavity and has had a heart murmur since birth.  Not any more.  He plays and runs and does everything my other greyhound does.  Great dog!!!
That's awesome! Sounds like he might have had the secondary form then?? Our Hal isn't doing so hot this far. He's been vomiting all his food at night, is that typical to anyone else? I'm not sure at this point what's related to the disease and what might be from his surgery/pain ect...I know it's a long road to recovery, I'm just not sure how much is fair to ask of him :/
(03-07-2016, 05:16 AM)bryanna@bellsouth.net Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 10:17 AM)Bryan Smith Wrote: Hi, there! I have never heard of Rutin. What does it do?

DivasMom

I have a greyhound that was diagnosed with this condition over a year ago.  Unlike your experience we have had the opposite results . . improvement to a normal dog.  First let me tell you we also have a 6 year old without the condition and she provides with a means of comparison.  He is on a low fat diet of 4%, daily doses of 1500mg of Rutin, I walk him 3 miles twice a day, every day.  That's it. No steroids, antibiotics or any medication.  Rutin is cheap (I'll email you the website I buy it from)  A year ago he had a liter of fluid out of his chest cavity and has had a heart murmur since birth.  Not any more.  He plays and runs and does everything my other greyhound does.  Great dog!!!

(03-07-2016, 06:55 AM)HaltheHound Wrote: That's awesome! Sounds like he might have had the secondary form then?? Our Hal isn't doing so hot this far. He's been vomiting all his food at night, is that typical to anyone else? I'm not sure at this point what's related to the disease and what might be from his surgery/pain ect...I know it's a long road to recovery, I'm just not sure how much is fair to ask of him :/

Hi! Diva never vomits, she develops incessant diarrhea and goes into a weight loss tailspin. It definitely is a long road to recovery, and I can totally relate to your statement about how much is fair for the dog. Fingers crossed for your Hal.

DivasMom
(03-07-2016, 10:17 AM)DivasMom Wrote:
(03-07-2016, 05:16 AM)bryanna@bellsouth.net Wrote:
(03-05-2016, 10:17 AM)Bryan Smith Wrote: Hi, there! I have never heard of Rutin. What does it do?

DivasMom

Its a bioflavinoid that has been used successfully with cats having this condition. 

I have a greyhound that was diagnosed with this condition over a year ago.  Unlike your experience we have had the opposite results . . improvement to a normal dog.  First let me tell you we also have a 6 year old without the condition and she provides with a means of comparison.  He is on a low fat diet of 4%, daily doses of 1500mg of Rutin, I walk him 3 miles twice a day, every day.  That's it. No steroids, antibiotics or any medication.  Rutin is cheap (I'll email you the website I buy it from)  A year ago he had a liter of fluid out of his chest cavity and has had a heart murmur since birth.  Not any more.  He plays and runs and does everything my other greyhound does.  Great dog!!!

(03-07-2016, 06:55 AM)HaltheHound Wrote: That's awesome! Sounds like he might have had the secondary form then?? Our Hal isn't doing so hot this far. He's been vomiting all his food at night, is that typical to anyone else? I'm not sure at this point what's related to the disease and what might be from his surgery/pain ect...I know it's a long road to recovery, I'm just not sure how much is fair to ask of him :/

Hi! Diva never vomits, she develops incessant diarrhea and goes into a weight loss tailspin. It definitely is a long road to recovery, and I can totally relate to your statement about how much is fair for the dog. Fingers crossed for your Hal.

DivasMom